Wednesday, December 26, 2007

a Merry Christmas indeed

Christmas day is finally over and it was exceptionally and surprisingly FUN. :)

I didn't think that I'd enjoy this Christmas but I did. Being able to feel the spirit of Christmas on the day itself was the most overwhelming thing. I almost thought that I was going to end up as a Scrooge this year with all that humbag and doubts of Christmas being a total bummer - but I was totally wrong.

Christmas day was full of fun and games. Every Christmas is a reunion for the Quiazon clan and we never fail to amuse ourselves with party tricks and entertainment. This year's celebration felt more exciting and more joyous than the previous Christmases. The family would always come up with certain gimics to jazz up the reunion and to make every Christmas more unique and more festive. This year's theme was "Naughty or Nice?" and everyone wore something that would represent whether they were one of both. Almost everyone came with costumes which was really cool because it just shows how much of a sport we all are.

The food was delicious as always; we had one whole lechon on the table, paella, salad and the softest ox-tongue in red sauce! There wasn't much food but it was enough to satisfy everybody's tummy that day. The dessert was pretty abundant with fruitcake, food for the god, my mom's blueberry cheesecake (which was a hit), a chocolate cake and my Pepper and Chocolate Chip cookies. I was happy from the positive responses from the Pepper Cookies that I made because it was the first time I ever tried baking them and they turned out good. Yay!

After everyone had finished eating and have rested, the program began to take place with my aunt, Tita Zeneth, as this year's MC. First order of business was the family introduction with our respective costumes. Then followed the games and a performance by us. My brothers, mom and I did a band presentation and played "Ewan". It was my second debut as a guitarist at a family gathering. It felt pretty good playing again even if it was just infront of my relatives. The games that my aunt prepared were the most creative games I've seen and participated in. Everybody loved them and had such a blast with each one. And after all the games and commercial breaks, it was time for the giving of the gifts which I think is what everyone awaits for during Christmas.

I've noticed that as the years pass and as I and the rest of my cousins get older, we get money instead of gifts now. I like the money as presents but I miss how I would recieve bags and boxed presents filled with goodies that I would curiously open as soon as I get them; I miss the excitement and thrill of guessing what present I would be getting as I unwrap the Christmas paper from the gifts; I miss bringing home gifts that I can actually use and not spend. It's true that when we grow up, things that we were used to will eventually change and this includes how people would give presents on Christmas. Nonetheless, I am pretty much content with the gifts I got this year which include:
  • Neverwhere book by Neil Geiman from my bestfriend GLENDA
  • baking tools, a halloween tray, and the coolest stuffed toy cat in the universe from ARENCE
  • a Domokun display toy from my kuya MIKE
  • a penguin designed tshirt and some socks from MOM & DAD
  • pink slacks from my AUNT ALMA
  • lipgloss from TITA ROWH
  • a silicon cone-shaped cupcake mold, Betty Crocker food coloring and icing from TITA SHY'
  • and the rest were aguinaldos from other aunts and my lolo's and lola's. I got a total of P_____.*hihi
I would've never expected this Christmas too be this happy. I should've given myself the benefit of the doubt. I was wrong about my feelings about the yuletide season. I was being nonchalant but I eventually gave the feeling up on Christmas eve and it felt great. This Christmas couldn't have been more perfect. Everyone was genuinely happy and I wasn't in any place to complain about the feeling either.

What did I learn about this Christmas season?

I learned that gifts and money will always be present during this season of giving, but the best thing that you could give anyone is the gift of LOVE. Sounds a little cliche but at the most it's also so true. Christmas is made up of the people around you who care and love you even if you do the stupidest or the greatest of things.

I hope everyone had a good Christmas and may you still enjoy the rest of the holiday season and the resto of 2007. :)

♥♥
If you want a visual story of my Christmas, you can check out my Multiply and look for the Christmas albums. Enjoy!

1 comment:

silly_button said...

i must ask whats so good about Multiply?